This morning I had another follow up appointment with my RE. I had another ultrasound and he said everything was looking good….no cysts and no fluid, both good signs. I also had more blood work done including a CBC (complete blood count), another HCG beta draw, a comprehensive metabolic panel, and AST (SGOT)….not sure what that one is for. After the ultrasound & blood work I went into my RE’s office and we chatted about what comes next.
So far my HCG levels have been dropping since my methotrexate shot on September 15th, but not at the rate that they generally like to see. For now, since I’m having no pain my RE doesn’t think it’s necessary to administer another shot of methotrexate, but if for some reason my levels start to level off and stop dropping we will have to do another at that point. He said he would call me this afternoon with today’s results and tell me when he needed me to come back in for another blood draw. I’m just so ready for this to be OVER so we can move on…..it’s such a long drawn out process….but I still probably have a few more weeks until my HCG returns to 0….on Monday it was at 1,290.
I asked about the timeline for when we could do another IUI and he said once my HCG returned to 0 that I would need to wait one full cycle, then we could start again….so probably by late November/early December we’ll be able to get started again. We discussed what protocol to use for this IUI. I told him I was slightly uncomfortable with how many follicles we had last time, and he agreed….he said ideally he would like to see 5-6 good sized follicles, and since we have MFI we would still be at a low chance for anything higher than twins. So we decided that we would do 1.5 vials of hMG instead of 2 like last time……which would mean that we will actually be wasting medicine each time since I have the type that is in powder form that is mixed with saline solution. I will add the 1ml saline solution to each vial of hMG, mix them up, then when drawing up the first vial of medication I will dispose of 1/2 of it, then draw up the second vial of medication. He suggested I go ahead and order the medication so we’re all set once we’re ready for our next IUI, so that’s what I plan to do. He wants me to order 20 vials of hMG, but since I still have 4 left over from last time I’ll only be ordering 16 (around $600).
I would like to say a special thank you to everyone who has reached out to me in these last few weeks, on instagram, blog comments, emails, cards, gifts…..it has all meant so much to me, and I’m so thankful to have such a supportive network of friends, family, and infertility sisters. 🙂 ❤